Ok sounds good, I agree with all as well.

I think that I have a PR that I could ressurect for #3.  I'd tried it just
before a release, and then pulled it at the last minute.  I think that it was
relatively simple:  https://github.com/apache/mahout/pull/129.  I only pulled
it because I did not have time to test is well enough.With some minor updates,
this should take care of it.

[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/7681565?v=3&s=400]<https://github.com/apache/mahout/pull/129>

MAHOUT-1706: remove dependency jars from /lib in the binary distribution by
andrewpalumbo · Pull Request #129 ·
apache/mahout<https://github.com/apache/mahout/pull/129>
github.com
The mahout distribution currently is shipping ~56 MB of dependecy jars in the
/lib directory of the distribution. These are only added to the classpath by
/bin/mahout in the binary distribution. ...

+1 to #5, which is covered by MAHOUT-1705, and needs to be reopened-.  This
will take a bit of work and I'm sure a good amount of testing.

As far as MAHOUT_LOCAL goes, it is already already in the process of being
phased out.  It has been removed from all of the examples.

Here's my +1 to dropping it all together.