Before it was a lobbying organization / political movement, MS was first and foremost a marketing company and still retains that expertise. So I'd expect that there was a fair amount of evening meetings involving all-expenses paid lavish dinners with MS representatives each and every evening preceding a meeting. MS oriented vendors might have also refused to sell hardware for evaluation of other systems as well. Who know? We'd need an insider or close observer to sayhow things went down.

Aren't there any privacy laws in the UK? The MS EULAs for 2000 SP3 and XP SP1 grant admin rights to MS. That's a back door by any other name and given MS' track record on security, it's accessible to more than just MS. ALso, 2003 is heavy on the DRM stuff. That means vendor lock-in for e-mail and office documents as well as the ability to track which individual officers/departments are working with whom, since the DRM server must grant or deny actions like opening, printing, editing, etc.

-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        Software patents harm all Net-based business, write your MEP:
        http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep6/owa/p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN