Alexandro Colorado wrote:

For the past few weeks there has been a very big discussion about reasons and what and why not does OOo doesn't come with a PIM. The issue has extended a bit too much and I realize this is really puting a lot of pressure on prooject such as the marketing list to come forward with documentation on why OOo doesn't have nor plan to develop a PIM program for the near feature. Also detail more what are the alternatives on a far more indepth reasoning for using alternatives and even go as far as conecting this users to the developers of the alternative projects.

This discussion is everything but new, and I think this is an example of the situation when the marketing community has to step forward because and translate the developer speech in the language that end users can understand.

End users have a logic in which the marketing community should grasp understand and manage an answer that will serve their tought process as opposed to ours. For that reason I will like to encourage the rest of the project members to brainstorm a good answer and make a page documenting and publishing the answer.

Along the lines of the "What's the roadmap because we want to spread accurate information" query, I remember a year or two ago when this topic came up there was a great deal of movement to work with the Mozilla people to make an API to integrate Thunderbird into OOo as an add-on (i.e., make the two easy to incorporate). Does anyone know where this went?

For that matter, it should be a relatively simple matter to put a PIM into OOo: just download the Mozilla Thunderbird code, tweak it a bit to add the OOo graphics and "look and feel", and badda-boom, badda-bing, you got yourselves a simple PIM/email client. IIRC, Mozilla's license would allow this to be done. No need to reinvent the wheel; just get it from a different supplier of wheels.

Any thoughts on this? I mean, it's such a simple solution that someone else must have come up with this before, so there must be a reason why it's not done.

--
Steven Shelton
Twilight Media & Design