Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
In that case, making it *easier* to use MSFT with ODF abets MSFT's position: they can have their cake and eat it too.

If MSO supports ODF it becomes easier to migrate away. It means you can send them a file you made with OOo and expect it to work. It removes lock in. ODF creates a more level playing field and that can only help OOo.

I'd rather encourage the use of ODF, not encourage a continuation of the status quo.

This is all about encouraging the use of ODF, which helps OOo, and moves away from the status quo.

I am thus against us--OOo--endorsing MSFT to use the ODF.

MS using ODF would make OOo easier to sell. That's the whole point. Open standards are a means to getting a free market. A free market would be good for OOo and bad for the current monopolist. Interoperability always hurts the entrenched monopoly. That's why Microsoft works so hard at avoiding interoperability.

Best,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org