The never mention the competion maxim, if that actually ever was one, is
severly outdated - by several decades.

Turn on the TV.

Quiznos doing tastes test commericals against Subway - or just showing the
two sandwiches side-by-side.

Subway comparing the amount of calories, fat, and sodium in their 6 inch
subs to that in a Burger King Whooper and a MacDonald's Big Mac.

One of the biggest marketing trends in Auto Insurance is to promote the fact
that their websites give you quotes from all of their major competitors -
(some, like Esurance, even help you to buy the policy from one of their
competitors).  Progressive, Geico, State Farm, Esurance.  They all use
direct by-name comparisons to their competitors.

Maybe it doesn't apply in the technology world.

Wrong.

I have eight words for you.

"Hi, I'm a Mac." "And I'm a PC."

Both "Don't mention the competition" and "Don't knock the competition" do
not apply at all anymore - if they ever did.

That last example mentions this particular competitor (Microsoft) directly.

I would be happy to go on with another example after another example after
another example of successful big-budget advertising campaigns - some of
which are held as the best, most successful campaigns in recent years, like
the "I'm a Mac" ones - that blow those so-called "maxims" out of the water.

And it's not a new trend.

Ever heard of the "Pepsi challenge"?

On 3/31/07, John McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, March 31, 2007 09:08, Lars D. Noodén wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Kirill Palagin (Y) wrote:
>
>> There is a marketing maxim "never mention the opposition". We have to
>> embrace it at least in Marketing.
>
> +1

It's usually stated as "don't knock the opposition", which is subtly
different :-)

Two examples where it pays to mention the opposition:

If we change the title of a Press Release from
"OpenOffice.org Releases New Version of Free Software"
"OpenOffice.org Releases New Version of Free Software alternative to
Microsoft Office"
we get far more page impressions.

Microsoft has a zillion dollar advertising budget; we have nix. If
Microsoft launch an anti-piracy campaign, we turn it to our advantage by
offering OOo as the best way to get legal - so-called "guerilla
marketing". It's hard to do this without mentioning Microsoft :-)

John