On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 22:41 -0400, Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 2007-09-04, at 12:25 , Ian Lynch wrote:
>
> big snip
>

> > If you want a resource for teaching about open standards I have
> > produced
> > a Moodle course at
> > http://theingots.org/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?inpopup=true&id=30
>
> Cool; I'll check it out. My interest in education centres on post-
> secondary--that's usually what I mean by the term--but thanks for the
> reminder.

Really the course I did is aimed as much at the teachers as the
students. They are probably a bit higher level than they need to be for
the kids they target but the teacher can modify them appropriately. This
is a great strength of creative commons in education. You can modify
resource which are rarely just right for your particular teaching style
or your particular students. So even in adult education they could be
useful. We have a Further Education College just signed up and another
coming to the next training. A big issue is the 1 million 17-24 year
olds not in employment, education or full time training. They need low
barrier courses and progression and the government is desperate to do
something about them.

> > As with all things on the INGOT site its creative commons licensed so
> > you can use it, improve it etc. When I get more time I'll add to these
> > things and eventually we will also get community contributions too.
>
> Great.
> >
> >> but others have reasonably
> >> suggested business.
> >
> > So maybe concentrating the money on business would be best as we
> > have at
> > least something for education that is self-financing and should grow
> > over time.
>
> I think it also depends on cost. And I'm hoping that all our
> campaigns can develop. What I really would like now is to have some
> mockups of ads we can review.
>
> So: Let's come up with:
>
> * Education (generic, but from primary through to university, so
> several models)

What we really need is ads/actions targeted on particular needs. UK
education is bombarded by advertising so it needs focus on perceived
audience needs. For example, a quote form the UK national curriculum
showing how making software comparisons by students are needed to reach
the higher levels then a solution - download OOo (or send them a CD) and
say this is a free resource to do the job just install on your network
alongside MSO and give the students an assignment to make some
comparisons. Of course this would only work in the UK. There are 3500
high schools so sending a CD to each one would probably only cost about
5 or 6k if we could drum up volunteers and probably OSA, Schoolforge and
Lugs would help such a project. Sending them a flyer with the download
address would be less expensive. I could design such a flyer targeted on
UK education but it would probably not be appropriate in other
countries.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications