On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:41:38 -0600, Italo Vignoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Viktor wrote:
Ok. I was thinking about how most people find out about any products - lets
say MS Office. You see commercials on tv and all over the internet, and
print ads too.

I don't understand why everybody looks at advertising, which is very expensive, and doesn't look at media relations, which are almost free and more aligned with OOo spirit and objectives.

OOo is way behind an acceptable visibility on the media, and the reason is that most volunteers in marketing have a technical background and not a communications background (and therefore are not used to handle media relations programs).

Let's start with a sustained media relations program (at least two press releases every month, a regular contact with journalists that blog about software, a quarterly contact with key editors, a tactical counterattack of MS Office media relations activities) and after one year let's see where we are.

In addition, we can do some "virals" using social media, but if you don't go through the media you won't get anywhere in terms of awareness. That's exactly what MS is doing: when OOo 2.0 has enetered the market, they have appointed a MS Office PR Manager in every major market in order to increase their media relations activities.

Just a couple of cents.

I agree with you in principle however this idea most be further develop to be able to aproach and follow steps to get this. I agree that if OOo gets endorsed by celebrities like Leo Laporte or John C. Dvorak they will get a lot of plugs for the products. However developing a strategy to aprocah this kind of guys really need some kind of know how.

Talking wtih hungry journalist looking to stir the pot might fire back to us as we saw during the OOo Conference where just a journalist ride on the high profile of OOo name to nurture a scandal and draw eyes to his article.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Help the Tabasco Relief efforts: