Hi Georg,

> Would it be possible, to not only detect the operating system but as
> well the language of the user? I have quite a lot of friends who
> came back to me telling me that they don't like OOo because it is in
> English. I have to tell them, that they need to go to
> de.openoffice.org for the German version and should not use the navbar.

In one of the mockups based on Ivan's minimalist design, I highlighted the
top right menu, with 'choose language'. The idea is that if the browser
language is not equal to English, they might be interested in switching
the site to another locale.

>From Louis Suarez-Pots I heard that Sun is working on a smarter download
button, but such thing is quite hard to realize if it also incorporates
all the different release dates (which depend on the QA activities of all
the different communities).

> One other thing that I noticed: I found it hard to read the white
> text on the light blue in the header. It might be just because of my
> screen, but I guess there will be others who will have the same
> problem.
> possible solution:  to make the light blue, or the text darker.

Funny that you say this, I recommended reducing the contrast even
further... at least if we are interested in push the user's attention
towards the action statements.

> About the navbar I cannot decide whether I want it on the first page
> or not.
> On the one hand the navbar should be on the first page. Not for the
> regular users, but because it makes it easy to reach a specific
> point of the website easily, e.g. the Wiki which would otherwise be
> only reachable through the last action statement or a personal bookmark.
> On the other hand with out the navbar a user has to choose an action
> statement or leave the page immediately (which is what I fear might
> happen without the navbar which serves as an overview of the
> "service" in a different way than the action statements or the
> footer). The places like Wiki would then be only reachable as
> described above.

What you somewhat try to present as a counter navbar argument is what I
read as a pro navbar argument... I am in favour of a navbar myself, just
to cater for the more regular users. I am not in favour of pushing the
navbar, and do like the current direction in which the navbar gets less
emphasis than it currently has.

g.,

Maarten