On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:44:55 John McCreesh wrote:
> On Tue, January 27, 2009 20:11, Graham Lauder wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > So therefore our marketing should shift from touting features and TCO to
> > a focus on raising Brand Awareness.
>
> I've felt for some time that, as far as the OOo product is concerned, we
> spend too much time 'preaching to the converted' - i.e. addressing the
> FOSS-aware. We would get better results by talking about OOo to
> birdwatchers, stamp collectors, Rotaries ...
>
> John

Agreed, as well as Primary schools, teachers, Students, Not-for-profits and
Joe Public.  The latter I think we can do quite cheaply using the strengths
we have: ie The global community.

Some months back I touted the idea of a "Google OOo" campaign.  The idea was
to make it very easy and minimal cost for local communities to produce simple
flyers and posters that give a simple call to action.  The "Google OOo"
statement would be the central part of the flyers with a simple message
included.  The messages would be translated into the local language or
messages more appropriate to the local culture.  The key is not to explain
but to excite curiosity, to reinforce the call to an action.

Here's a couple of examples off the top of my head

http://ooogear.co.nz/OOo/OOo_favour.pdf
http://ooogear.co.nz/OOo/OOo_surprise.pdf

These could be stuck on community noticeboards, University notice boards, even
in classifieds in local newspapers.

If we targeted a particular week and called it the Google_OOo week and got a
groundswell going around the world it would have impact.

If every LUG for instance got twenty people to print 20 of these just on plain
A4 and then stuck them up around their local community.

If every NLP got 100 people to do the same.

And so on.  The cost to the individuals would be mere cents in printing costs,
but tallied up around the world the value would be huge.

If you do Google OOo, OpenOffice.org appears at the top of the list everytime.

We could run competitions like:  "Photo of the strangest place for a Google
OOo poster"

You could print out "Google OOo" greetings cards with a "Sign it and pass it
on to a friend" and see how far it travels.

Additionally or instead, we could do a "Google Why OOo", that puts the
why.openofice.org page at the top of the list and we could track the hits.

If we started out announcing this on the heavy traffic lists like Users and
Discuss and all the NLP User and Discuss lists then followed up with hit
stats and a web page or a wiki page to show what was happening around the
world I think it would grow under it's own momentum.

I'm thinking that probably April or May would be the time to do it to give us
time to build the momentum.

I think if we did it right it could be bigger than the Firefox campaign and it
would be targeting people outside our "usual" audience.

While it may not increase downloads, though there is no reason why it
wouldn't, it would certainly raise brand awareness.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Graham

--
"The Best Things in life are 3"
http://why.openoffice.org

ISO 26300 compliant

Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz