This is one very interesting thread. Instead of an open letter to President
Obama, how about an open letter to Joe Public? Something like the Mozilla
Foundation's advertisement placed in NYTimes through community and
enterprise donations?  See
http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-12-15.html. More than the eyeballs
that the ad will garner, the interest would be in the incremental news
inches that can be generated through such an effort and the greater
legitimacy that a mainstream news channel can garner.

Would this take forward Graham's idea of a definable target for the overall
community to rally around? If we expand this idea, can we look at doing the
same in key newspapers in key markets such as China, India etc? Of course,
this needs to be compared against the impact of spending the same amount of
money on online ads, outreach campaigns, conferences etc. For example, can a
study be conducted like this:
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/21/mozilla-gets-freaky/

This campaign could tie in with Graham's idea of "A memorable date like
9/9/09 and go for 99 million hits" and could also generate further interest
through country specific targeting: for example Orkut being more popular
than Facebook in Brazil and India, advertisements in Mandarin or regional
Indian languages. The campaign would also grab government and business
eyeballs especially if designed well enough to highlight some points that
Alexandro raised, namely
* Economic reasoning
* Document format
* Productivity
* License costs
* Support

Look forward to more discussions on the same thread

Regards,
Sagar