On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 14:26 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> >> Other extremely important thing: OOo4Kids is the way to enter in schools
> >> with free software.
> >
> > There are a few different barriers to entry for free software.
> > Installing software is one and of course maintaining it - especially if
> > they already have MS Office installed. Then all their curriculum support
> > materials specific to MSO and so on.
> >
> > Analyse all the potential barriers to entry, then put them in order of
> > importance and do the things that cost the least and have the biggest
> > impact.
> >

> I am not sure if this is the correct issues,

They certainly make a massive difference here in the UK and talking to
our partners in EU countries also there. This judgement is from direct
consultation with the schools, the Schools Open Source project and
Schoolforge UK.

> moving OOo4Kids into the
> OpenOffice.org project is a technical as well as community decision.

Yes but the purpose of OOo4Kids is to get kids using OOo. Certainly
StarOffice4Kids had very little impact at all in UK schools and neither
did Sun's earlier Star Office initiatives. In fact that was one of the
reasons I first started the INGOTs. It was clear to me as a professional
working in marketing to schools for the last umpteen years that what was
being proposed wouldn't work.

> Moving OOo4Kids in schools are all of a different conversation that escape
> the scope of the OpenOffice.org Project.

So you go to all the effort of making a fork of OOo4 without considering
how it will get taken up? That seems a very strange view of marketing.

> I trusth teacher and academic circles to try to answer this questions and
> stablish guidelines to operate with the OpenOffice.org Project etc.

Fundamentally, if you have the wrong technical solution and it makes it
difficult or awkward for teachers to take it up they won't waste the
time and effort. If it is easy they still might not but there is at
least a chance that they will. Your market should drive your tech
development.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications