On Friday 09 October 2009 04:49:15 Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> > Hi Jürgen, *
> >
> > Juergen Schmidt schrieb:
> >> Hi Bernard,
> >>
> >> please make it available online as well.
> >
> > Of course - we're using the wiki for our work, but I didn't set up the
> > dedicated wiki page by now.
> >
> >> It's perfect timing, i am just
> >> wanted to start a discussion on the marketing list about a common
> >> design/brand for OpenOffice.org that can be used for different use case.
> >>
> >  > But i haven't finished the email so far.
> >
> > Creating such a design / visual identity has been one of the main topics
> > in the Art Project for the last 2 or 3 years.
> >
> > Unfortunately we didn't have enough man power to create more artwork
> > using the elements of the OOo3 splash screen - there are just a few
> > graphical elements that can be used for branding.
> >
> > With the idea of an updated / new OOo logo we want to introduce a better
> > branding and visual identity than up to now. But this is just a first
> > step.
>
> i don't want to change the OOo logo,

Thats disappointing because we should be changing it.  It is now old and
decrepit and is looking it while our oppositions comes out with a fresh new
logo with every other release.  Is it any wonder that people see us as just
an alternative to Office '97

> i have more in mind that we have
> some kind of unique campaign for every release or maybe release
> independent. Some cool slogans would be also nice.
>
> Something that always includes the OOo logo but will be also unique. The
> idea behind that is to produce new merchandising goods for every
> campaign and to promote our latest versions. Or simply something cool
> where people say hey cool i must have this shirt etc.
>
> To make it short i would like to focus on merchandising material that
> can be used for conferences and other events.

What we in fact need IMO is a two separate logos.

One for the community and website and
One for the software

This would have a number of advantages.  It makes each  version distinct as
far as marketing is concerned.  From a visual perspective we can announce in
text: "New" "Innovative" "Different" but the Logo says "Same Old same old!"

The following is a repeat and I'll sound like a stuck record, but.......

Our most recognisable brand is not the logo.  The logo is small potatoes.  If
we had a global brand with posters on every street corner and a corporate
headquarters in Silicon Valley, visual marketing campaigns in glossy
magazines and on TV, banner ads on every other website... Then yea, I'd say
protect that logo for all it's worth.  But we don't.

The question is: Where does the brand get noticed, the answer: in text on
webpages, on blogs, in magazines.

Our most recognised brand is 13 text characters in a string and a dot

OpenOffice.org

Note with the two upper case Os.  This is the branding we need to protect and
I've gone on record on numerous occasions fighting to keep that intact and
unchanged when, for instance, people talk about dropping the .org from the
name.  Frankly I'd have no problem dropping the gull bug from the logo and
simply hang on to the text part, but that's just me and I don't think of it
as a deal breaker.

For the Organisation: the project and the website the text is our best brand
because it's recognisable in any media, like "Coke" "CocaCola"  "HP" "Intel"
and so forth.  That to me is it's greatest strength, by just stringing those
letters together in a text format is the same as printing a logo everytime
it's mentioned.

We are in a different paradigm when we talk online marketing, the best example
of  this is Google.  The text rules in this case. A string of 6 characters
that is instantly recognisable and needs no translation because they stand on
their own.  With that in mind I think we should go with OpenOffice.org with
no gulls and the Blue White Black that it is already but with a Free Font as
the Website/Community Logo.  And then have a Fresh new logo with each major
release.  The name doesn't change, we stick with the string of 13 characters
and the dot, that after all is our most recognised thing....

I just noted that in my Kmail spellchecker Google is listed but OpenOffice.org
isn't.  Tsk, we need some brand recognition work

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

Ambassador for OpenSUSE Linux on your Desktop

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz