Graham Lauder wrote:
> On Sunday 11 October 2009 05:34:19 Lars Nooden wrote:
>> Graham Lauder wrote:
>>> Thats disappointing because we should be changing it.  It is now old and
>>> decrepit and is looking it while our oppositions comes out with a fresh
>>> new logo with every other release.  Is it any wonder that people see us
>>> as just an alternative to Office '97
>> Thanks for explaining that Graham.  I had been wondering where our
>> opposition had been spending its development effort.
>>
>> /Lars
>
> Hi Lars
>
> Heh, Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!  :)

I thought the pun held that honor.
If it wasn't for low wit, I wouldn't have no wit at all.

> Not all of it obviously,

I get the impression that most of the change is in the logo, the rest is
in introducing incompatibilities.

> however you will note that the logo changes...

Nope.  I don't have to waste time with their crap or with people who
promote it.  With MSO, I noticed in 1994 that it really wasn't getting
better.  Others did too, I laughed when MSO 6 came out and students took
to keeping 5.2 in shared folders (the school had a site license) so as
to get some work done.  I had mostly moved to HTML by that time.

> For us it's not a matter of selling more upgrades as it is with proprietary
> software, it's about looking "up-to-date".  We don't change the UI look just
> for the sake of it, whereas proprietary software makers are forced to, to
> make it look like the punters are getting something "New" with each upgrade.

It may no be a bad idea to make new logos with major changes, such as
from 3 to 4, and minor variations for point changes.  If nothing else,
it helps identify the version.

> Problem with all of this of course is that it puts the impression in the mind
> of the End User that New Logo = New Software, of course we know that's a
> marketing ploy, but for the enduser if the former is true, then by inference
> Old Logo = Old Software.  This of course makes statements made by the Steve
> that OpenOffice.org is more akin to '97 more believable in their eyes.

I didn't get the impression he had any credibility outside the
disciplines of monkey-dancing and chair throwing.  As far as I know,
much of the population gives little to no credibility to the what's left
of the trade journals.

What I do see given lots of credibility is a vague word-of-mouth
rumor-mongery.  It might even be a whisper campaign, but I don't have
either the language skills or tact to tract the origins.

Anyway, the branding is only useful if it's on new material - either
programs or documentation or both.  If the documentation and brochures
are refreshed, then it would be time for a new or freshened logo.

/Lars