On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 13:00, Ian  wrote:

> What happens when someone markets a phone that you can plug in a USB keyboard
> and a monitor.

I've seen keyboards and mice that had bluetooth connectivity support.

Assuming the carriers haven't blocked that functionality  (Bluetooth
connections to non-headsets), the current limiting issues are:
* Lack of decent office software on a smartphone/PDA;
* Cost;

On 2009/10/18 André Schnabel wrote:

> I have no idea, why Nokia is investing in "KOffice libs" as backend for a
> viewer application. Okular is already very good in displaying office
> (including ODF)

Going by their website, Okular does not support impress, draw, or calc files.
Koffice does. By porting the libraries, Nokia automatically has an
office suite that offers true cross-platform compatibility and
functionality.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 01:06, Peter Junge  wrote:

> That's why R&D needs to address the challenges of tomorrow. I really hope
> mobile OOo gets underway before it's too late. In fact it almost is.

For mobile platforms, the office suite has to be completely rewritten:
* The primary issue is available RAM. (Despite shipping with an
alleged 512 MB RAM, I have 12 MB RAM for running programs in, when
turned on.);
* The secondary issue is the number of environments that can be
installed.Java, .NET, etc haven't been ported to mobile platforms yet.
 As such, the office suite has to be written in one language, with all
required functionality contained in libraries ported to the specific
language used for writing the program for the specific platform.

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.
Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Guiding principles of the legal system of Nacirema.