On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 13:24 +0000, jonathon wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:31, Ian  wrote:
>
> >> Is it  cost-effective to spend US$100 for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse
> >> for a US$250 smarrtphone/PDA?
>
> > A USB keyboard is around $5 and a USB Mouse $2 and the G-phone has a USB
> > port so the cost to get a basic set up is minimal.
>
> http://www.n1wireless.com/Bluetooth_Keyboard-I_Tech_Virtual_Keyboard.html
>  US$109.99

Point is I can buy a USB keyboard for a fraction of that price - I'm not
really prepared to pay $100 just for wireless when the cable makes
almost no difference to the way I work. The snag with the G-phone is
that the USB port is not set up for keyboards. I'm sure it could be
hacked :-) But I'll wait until one of the manufacturers provides it.

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00142C4O8 US$149.99
> http://www.jr.com/golan-technology/pe/GOC_VKB/ US$149.99
>
> The N900, which is probably Nokia's current premier phone offers
> Bluetooth connectivity, but  not a USB port. (KOffice is available for
> this system.)

G-phone has USB, just not currently supporting a keyboard but I'm
thinking more about the future. It rather amazes me that Google haven't
provided a standard USB keyboard driver. I can't see it putting the
price up and typing on a cheap but full sized keyboard would be a lot
easier eg when I'm at home at my desk with my phone which is actually
quite a lot of the time. A VGA out would be handy too even if the
resolution is not that good.

> Currently available Smartphones/PDAs which offer USB connectivity,
> usually do so using weird/proprietary connectors on the device end.

I connect my g-phone to my netbook with a standard USB cable and a cheap
mini adapter on the phone end. It then charges off the netbook (battery
life on the G-phone is its main weakness) and I can transfer files that
way too. Bluetooth works but its a bit fiddly and slower than a cable I
need anyway for battery charging so personally I don't use it much.

> > If Koffice gets to be the de facto standard on Smartphones OOo (and
> MSO for that matter) will be confined to future niche markets.
>
> There are roughly half a dozen operating systems for
> Smartphones/PDAs/etc.

At the moment. There were half a dozen Micro computer OSs about until
the open architecture PC came along and anyone could build one. Then it
rapidly went to DOS then Windows. I reckon that is what Google is trying
to do with Android. Why do you think Nokia is rushing to open source
Symbian? Open Systems architecture is what made the PC. Apple did nice
stuff but all proprietary and got confined to a niche. Deja vu :-)

>  _If_ QT ports the Koffice libraries to all of
> those operating systems, then  KOffice might well become the dominant
> office suite.
>
> Between what is best described as outright fraud, de facto swindling,
> and telling its partners flat out lies, Microsoft is headed to
> ensuring that  nobody in the mobile device market works with them.
> Microsoft Mobile Office won't make it in that market.(It doesn't help
> that Microsoft Mobile Office is incompatible with MS2k7,  and MSO2k3.)

Yes, MS seems very unlikely to compete in this market, they had their
chance and they blew it. I suspect Apple is currently at its height as
it was in the mid 80s before Windows.

> The problems with OOo and Go-OO are too deep seated for it to make any
> impact on the mobile device market.

Probably - again the project priority should have been mobiles 5 years
ago when it was obvious that this would eventually take over from
desktops as the dominant computer market.

> It is theoretically possible for an office suite, other than KOffice,
> that produces ODF compatible documents to become the dominant player
> in the mobile device market.

But probably not practically because the development lead in time is too
great unless there is a product just about ready now. Since Koffice is
FOSS, there is nothing to stop Google putting it in Android which I'm
sure they will do if they think it is going to give Symbian an
advantage.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications