On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 11:06 +0000, jonathon wrote:

> I was not referring to the cost of the office suite.  Rather, I was
> referring to the cost of the additional hardware (mouse, keyboard).
> Is it  cost-effective to spend US$100 for a bluetooth keyboard and
> mouse for a US$250 smarrtphone/PDA?

A USB keyboard is around $5 and a USB Mouse $2 and the G-phone has a USB
port so the cost to get a basic set up is minimal. No doubt I could
design a cheap netbook style shell that a Smartphone could simply slide
into giving an appropriate size keyboard and screen without incurring
the full cost of a netbook - maybe $100 for the package, less with
volume sales. Less expensive than a netbook and with the flexbility to
use the phone away from the constraints of the larger size needed for a
decent keyboard and screen. Actually such a package could have an
optional larger battery and recharge the phone battery while it is in
place and provide the additional power for more intensive work such as
office apps. My G-phone is almost exclusively recharged by my EEEPC
netbook. I would certainly pay $200 or more to be able to rationalise
the netbook, desktop and phone technologies I own.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications