Hi All,

This is my first post to this list, and I have read the entire thread on
this subject.

A brief history:  I am a Linux user of 9 years, I have been using OOo on
the desktop since StarOffice 5.2, I am a community distributor of OOo,
and I have been a Palm user for 8 years.  Even before Palm made the
suicidal move of introducing Windows Mobile as their OS, I was nagging
them about working with OOo to use OOo as their onboard document reader
and creator.  DataViz had a highly functional program for the MS Ofice
app, called Documents2Go, and with the lack of a feature in Palm to read
our native docs, I had to save all of docs in both formats.  With the
advent of ODF the need for Palm to embrace the format became stronger,
but they still hung on to Microsoft.  Their new WebOS is the last gasp
of this once-great company, but they seem to be betting on "the Cloud"
as is Google with Android.

Now Nokia has come out with an idea to use KOffice on their phones, and
fair enough too.  If you've got it, use it.  Mind you Trolltech designed
the Linux OS for the Sharp Zaurus, and it synched better with Windows
than with Linux - go figure!  Maybe our best direction is to get a
"Lite" version of OOo working under Android.  Predictions (Gartner) are
that within 2 years Android will have a strong second place position in
the marketplace, behind Nokia.  Given Google's interest in driving
advertising sales on portable devices, maybe a joint project with Google
to put OOo on Android might work.

The important thing to keep in mind is that OOo must end up on portable
devices, sooner rather than later.

I was referred to this list by Juergen Schmidt of SUN in response to a
message I sent to the developers list:

I would suggest that you post it on the discuss|d...@openoffice.org list
again and start a discussion there. Or you join the just at the weekend
started discussion on dis...@openoffice.org|
dev@marketing.openoffice.org
about a mobile version of OOo related to the latest announcements from
Nokia to support a mobile version of KOffice.

The tile of this thread is "Nokia funds KOffice for mobiles"

Juergen

Andrew Greig
Community Distributor, OpenOffice.org
Melbourne, Australia