Hi,

Do you think that holding OOo Conferences brings more people to volunteer
for OOo or keeps the volunteers this project already has?

both. It is a real nice event for all the people involved in the project. Seeing people at least one a year, discussing about things, having fun together, laughing, living and celebrating open source, that is important.

It also can attract new people, because talking face to face is much easier than just virtual communication.

I would think the point of the Marketing project is to get more people
involved in volunteering for us - OOoCons probably (although I cannot say
for certain) doesn't get more people involved.

Any proof for that? I doubt it. It might not make the big bang, but it definitely keeps current volunteers inside the community.

Also we are not talking about "dropping" the conference, but changing it and
adapting to the world known as the internet.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, and may it be the most modern technology, can replace face to face meetings.

I think a virtual conference would see many more people joining in to
discuss issues - they don't have to travel and it is far more convenient.

Why should they? We have lots of discussion going on on the list, so why don't people start joining there, when they even have more freedoms in choosing when to reply? You really think people not participating on the lists would join a virtual conference? I doubt it.

Of course it is very different to meeting people face to face - just like
email is very different to the telephone.  It is called change, and change
is something we must adapt to, to make the very most of the opportunities it
opens.

Change can be in the right direction or it can be in the wrong direction. To me, having even lesser face to face meetings is definitely the wrong direction.

Again, sorry for being so direct, but I simply have a different opinion on this. :-)

Honestly, looking at other projects that meeting regular, I see the advantages of this, and I definitely want to have them also for us, rather than doing more and more just virtual and online.

Florian