Hi Florian,

Florian Effenberger wrote (17-12-09 09:32)

I just don't think it makes much sense to give up or to limit our so successful and even more important conference for environmental purposes. If we start that way, we'd have to change a lot of things: How many mirrors do we need, how many buildbots do we run? Does CollabNet use green IT? Do we really need so many hosts and services? Shall we attend trade shows at all, as that also is bad for the environment? Shall we still offer OpenOffice.org on DVD, this is also bad for the environment?

Well, I see sings that you are going to start to understand it :-)
There are indeed a lot of areas in which we can contribute a bit.

Now don't think that I am a person that is sitting in the cold and dark at home .. I even do have a car ;-) But if it is possible, I take the bike and/or train. The electricity we buy, is from sun, wind water for about ten years already. And my family has a pretty environmental friendly diet.

And with our OOo group, on a large fair few years ago, we did not spread 10.000 CD's, with a version that would be old in a few weeks by then, but we spread 10.000 interesting, catchy folders, that still are valid.

Saying the environment is important, but not starting to change, is old age. There are numerous movies and tv-productions pointing out rather sharp (and painful), what we are acting not so smart, and how that affects the environment, other people, other livings and ourself and our children.

Did anyone say that we have to skip all OOoCons? That we should stop running a lot of tests on our dev-builds? No. But probably there are some council members interested in the kind of energy used by the servers ;-)

Again, please don't think I'm ignorant - I really see your point. I just don't share your view that we should limit down the conference. It would be a massive negative aspect for our community if we did so, IMHO.

It is a change. Show that we are really people of this age. Won't that attract people? And as written: we can prove that we can do a very good job on the one hand and improve for the world around us on the other hand. Don't forget that in the end all is one ...

Kindest regards,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws