On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 15:44 -0600, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> Don't you do presentations on your netbook? I found presentations be
> the killer use of a netbook.

Mostly I use web pages and Google's presentation stuff in Google docs
because I can just embed it in a web page and share it.

> >From my experience I dont think the office suite is exactly what I am
> looking forward when doing mobile computing. At least on cellphones.
>
> The question is if I want a note application that can export to ODF
> and the answer is "sure". Then again still not considering a Killer
> app. Even many PalmOS spreadsheet apps don't feel them as useful,
> except maybe for vieweing their content.

Give it a couple of years and all smart phones will be pluggable to
large displays and USB keyboards. Then you won't need a netbook.
Question is what software will run on them? Maybe some local some from
the cloud but staying on file based desktop is a big risk.

> What I did is use ODpyConvert (which should become an extension), and
> export all my ~/Documents/ files into PDF and then scp it to my N900.
> What I do need is maybe a good document manager that can read the
> metatag of the document and easily grep the content from it. Browing a
> folder with 500+ documents can be a pain in a mobile.
>
> Then again this is very Off Topic since the Ubuntu version is for
> NetBooks, not mobiles.

Mobiles are relevant simply because they are the netbooks of a few years
hence. Will OOo be on them or not?

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications