Hi Florian,

Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi Ian,

Ian wrote on 2010-06-20 09.34:

[...]

One way to pay volunteers for work would be for a group of volunteers to
raise money eg through an EU grant or other enterprise and use it to
target specific parts of the project. That is really no different from
Oracle paying the engineers or Louis.

The difference between us and Oracle is, is that Oracle people are contracted, we are volunteers. Of course, they are paid for similar things we do, but they are contracted, we aren't. If we now start to make differences between the volunteers, this will lead to risks.

Believe me, I really would love to compensate people's efforts and work, but with a total budget of 100.000 € per year, we cannot pay the work of dozens of contributors, plus travel, lodging and others.

I think Ian's idea is to top-up OOo community budgets with fundings from the EU. That would indeed be great. I'm not an expert on that but AFAIK publicly funded projects usually include temporary, sometimes part time, employment options.

Best regards,
Peter