On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@openoffice.org>
wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Ian <ian.ly...@theingots.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 01:19 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>>

>>> Starting to pay individual work is a real danger we should be careful of.
>>
>> Agreed but...
>>
>>> Mozilla is quite hard to compare with us. I know many of the Mozilla
>>> folks, and they are in a much more luxury situation than we are.
>>
>> The question is why? What is it about Mozilla that is different from
>> OOo?
>>
>>> Sorry for being the bad guy in here, but spending money on work time for
>>> volunteers in my opinion puts us at a very big risk. A risk we should
>>> not take.
>>
>> Question is how to define what is volunteer work and what is not. Oracle
>> pay people for doing work of the same type that volunteers do. The real
>> issue is that Oracle provides the money so they can choose how to spend
>> it. It is certainly more difficult for general money under the control
>> of team OOo or the CC to be spent on work time without causing problems
>> - in fact there are problems on travel expenses because some people get
>> them covered and some don't.
>>
>> One way to pay volunteers for work would be for a group of volunteers to
>> raise money eg through an EU grant or other enterprise and use it to
>> target specific parts of the project. That is really no different from
>> Oracle paying the engineers or Louis.
>>
>>> Let's see what others say.
>>
>> What I'm saying is that the principle of paying some people and not
>> others is already set, the issue is more about the mechanism for payment
>> and the priority and methods for raising funds and who controls them
>> than it is the principle.
>>
>> --
>> Ian
>> Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
>> A new approach to assessment for learning
>> www.theINGOTs.org - 01827 305940
>>
>> You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
>> Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
>> 8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.
>
> We usually have the same dilema on choosing who should we pay and what
> for. Our decision process has to do with how hard is it to get it done
> and how bad do we need it, like how much time.
>
> We also have constant contributors which has done work for us for free
> in the past, and we want to do better work. Something like
> localizations or extension development. Again our biggest challenge
> becomes moving money globally since not every country is paypal
> friendly nor has the same transfer restrictions.
>
> Otherwise we would be able to have more worked managed like that. I
> also think that some of these work should be funded to improve the
> infrastructure such as actual devices to speed up process. In the past
> I mentioned a dedicated VoIP device could work wonders, we at ES
> already have more common meetups since we migrated away from Skype
> [...]

Anyway the spirtit is we do what we can, when we can, if we get a rain
of petitions, we are always in the liberty to say we can't do it. We
are not such worried if in the past it was done or not. Which is my
point on not getting to hang on presedent. I dont see any problem
saying "yes" to JA and later on saying "NO" to some other project.
Then again, I kind of agree that we could use this chance to negotiate
the budget so is not 1000 dls, but 500 maybe or 300, and in return
website-dev could aid Takaeda-san with the design and the development
is also splited.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español