On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Ian <ian.ly...@theingots.org> wrote:

>> > The future is mobile computing and seamless web integration. OOo lite to
>> > run on Android handsets would be a killer, especially if it also enabled
>> > seamless publishing of HTML5 documents.
>>
>> Somehow I am not sold on that idea. I have an N900 which is arguably
>> the best phone out there in the market. It has a phisical keybard and
>> a digital one touch keyboard. I run an application called MaStory
>> (http://maemo-wordpy.garage.maemo.org ). Beautiful app with lots of
>> support for high level formating to do your blog. Is the closest you
>> will get for a word processor. It supports Media, image editors, tags,
>> categories metadata, links. Even configure the time and date of the
>> post to go live. To a degree it holds almost the same amount of
>> features of OOo Writer.
>
> I have a Samsung Galaxy S Android with ThinkFree office. (There is a
> missed opportunity.) If I plug it into a monitor and a keyboard I don't
> think I would notice much difference to using my netbook which has OOo
> on it for 99% of what I do (Possibly 100%)
>
>> However that said, is PAINFULL to blog on the N900. I will never write
>> more than a few lines, and havent even been keen into managing media
>> inside the document. The keyboard on the N900 is pretty good, maybe a
>> bit small, but also have talked with Blackberry users that use a blog
>> client and they also agree that they will never do a blog with more
>> than 1 paragraph from their blackberry.
>
> Think a bit laterally. You really don't need to limit the device to its
> current physical size limitations. With i-pads etc there is going to be
> a massive wave of spin-off devices based on phone technology and this is
> certainly going to encroach into the traditional laptop space if not
> displace it altogether. Connecting a keyboard and HDTV is trivially
> simple.

ok yes changing the hardware does come through as any other computer
OS. This is the similar idea from the NeoRunner (OpenMoko) thing that
maddog want's to do on using the mobile as a CPU of a larger device.

Now the next step is how to make OOo run within a mobile OS, if we
take Android, IOS, Windows Mobile and Meego as the standard
smartphones OS (Blackberry and Symbian are not included).

We can see that software-wise OOo only have a chance in Meego without
needing to be re-written. Android Java utilities makes us recode OOo
(which is 15 M lines of code to Java), or Objective-C in case of IOS.

An alternative like the OOo-Net could work where we just develop the
interface separated from the OOo engine. That way we can have
interfaces develop on the native toolkit for most of the things around
supported.

>> The demand from a word processor usually involves a multipage
>> document, that I think will never work from within a mobile phone at
>> least with the current hardware.
>
> Duhh...plug it into a bigger screen and keyboard :-)
>
> Take a netbook case with screen and keyboard and battery. Plug in your
> phone and you have both a netbook and a charging station for your phone.
> It's only a matter of time. Let's skate to where the puck is going to be
> not where it is now.
>
> BTW, I have now agreement for endorsement from the UK Sector skills
> Council for an accredited certification of OOo. next step is to go
> through the Ofqual accreditation procedure but they are just changing
> the IT system so that might take a few weeks. Let's plan on getting it
> done for 1st January 2011.
>
> --
> Ian
> Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
> A new approach to assessment for learning
> www.theINGOTs.org - 01827 305940
>
> You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
> Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
> 8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.

Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español
http://es.openoffice.org