The bootstrap is done with Ant AFAIK. It could contain the Plugin
Manager and thus the code to download plugins. Anyway, the bootstrap
already retrieves the needed jars from the remote repo. Why couldn't it
also retrieve plugin jars?

> the other is the core
> reports that people expect. The reports we could eventually off load
by
> themselves but for now I'm happy keeping the standard reports in the
> core for now.

I think we're mixing 2 things here:
- what plugins and reports people are used to use
- where the plugins are located

What we seem to need is a way to prevent folks having to enter 20 plugin
dependencies in all their project.xml. These are the "core plugin". But
these plugins do not have to be located in Maven nor do they need to be
distributed with Maven.

What we need is a default project.xml that is automatically inherited by
all projects. In this default project.xml, we would list:
- the core plugins
- the core reports

But again, I don't see why we need to host any plugin within maven core.

What would be nice is to let people add plugin they use daily to this
default project.xml so that they can benefit from them being
automatically added to all their projects.

Comments?

Thanks
-Vincent

[snip]