IMHO this particular issue: integration of cactus plugin  with eclipse
plugin is affected by the problem which is lying elsewhere.

The problem is that generally support for different type of testing then
unit testing is pratically not existing in maven.
For example if cactus test cases were kept in separate, dedicated project
this particular problem will almost disappear.
"Almost" as the problem is that Maven at the moment (I am speaking about
default distribution not proprietary plugins)
is unable to work with the test cases (mostly based on extension of junit)
kept main source tree.
It is also unable to create jars/uberjars from test source tree or even
notice that test source tree is existing if there
in no main source tree

I believe that when we will find structured standardized solution for
organizing iu-tests most of such problems will really
disappear and that the quality of testing will be improved as at the moment
maven doesn't really encourage such practices (they are very painful).
For example for my current project I have developed a test suite which is
benchmarking performance of my application.
After every major change in the architecture I am using this test suite for
seeing how it is affecting the performance.
The same can be done for memory consumption etc.

<dream>
When test reports (and reports generally) will be promoted to artifacts if
will be possible
to track performace changes and make complex statistiacl analyzis of them.
Also it should be possible to measure the performace of given application
with differnt configurations/set of components.
It think that this would be really cool.

There is a lot of crazy ideas waiting for implementation.
E.g. what about using genetic algorithms + continous integration system + iu
testing
for finding the optimal configuration of given application (e.g. size of
caches, number of connection to databases etc.)
The truth is that very rarly people have time for performace tuning and it
can be mostly automated.
And I even doubt that human can do this better then genetic alogorithm if
the domain space for genetic algorithm is
correctly defined.

</dream>

Michal