Le vendredi 11 avril 2014 15:10:01 Chris Graham a écrit :
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 11/04/2014, at 9:23 AM, Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10 April 2014 23:37, Lennart Jörelid <lennart.jore...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> So ... the consequence of your approach would be that POMs throughout a
> >> maven reactor would have to repeat a dependency declaration if the
> >> classes
> >> in your maven project "directly" import a type. This - to me - seems not
> >> only complex to resolve in a big reactor, but quite user-unfriendly as
> >
> >> well. An example shows this, I think:
> > This is the *recommended* best practice.
> >
> > If you use something directly, then you should be explicit about that
> > dependency.
>
> If I've followed this thread and fully understood it, the proposal is to
> force the declaration of a dependency in the current Pom, even if they are
> declared as dependencies of your declared dependency, ie transitive
> dependencies.
>
> Does this not effectively disable the use of transitive dependencies?
no, not completely: you still have automatic version calculation, and
calculated complete transitive dependencies for run
but yes, forcing direct dependencies delclaration gives developer more work:
we expect this gives developer more precise knowledge of his code

> I find transitive dependencies one of the most useful, powerful features of
> Maven.
+1

> Without them, it takes me back to the (horrid) Ant days of manually having
> walk the dependency tree.
>
> And what of consolidation/library poms, where one Pom lists 100's of other
> jars needed? The WebSphere Process Server one (172 jars!) comes to mind.
>
> In short, if I've followed and understood this correctly, and I may not have
> (holiday time for me), it sounds a very bad idea Igon.
IMHO, each choice is debatable: this should be an option in compiler plugin.
Something like "disableTransitiveDependencies". Notice that this wouldn't
require core change

Regards,

Hervé