Stephen, I don't feel strongly about it but I don't think there is another
option. Unlike assembly:single which is used to create multiple
distributions, this is about creating an artifact destined to be consumed
as a dependency. Correct me if wrong, but Maven artifact types are meant to
produce one single/prime artifact, otherwise you have to begin specifying
"type" element on your dependencies.