I have a situation/problem/use-case where I would like to take a collection of XML schemas and create a bundle of themso that they could be included into other projects. The destination projects vary. Some are written in Java, some in C++, etc. So I'd like to produce amore platform agnostic bundling artifact. At the moment, we lean on Subversion externals, which I really dislike doing.

In this type of case, I figured a ZIP packaging type would have described the project and produced the expected output, while using Maven. A big thing that I like about Maven is how you model the project. Plugins are great, but opening up a POM and seeing the packaging type is just so nice and explicit.

There are several ways I can accomplish my goal, but somewhere, deepdown, Ihad hoped that I'd live long enough to see a first-class ZIP packaging type become available. :-)

Tim