There's a lot of issues in our issue tracker, not all of them should
be solved by such an extension mechanism. So while for instance
interpolation to NULL is a commonly requested feature, it'd probably
be smarter to just "fix" the problem in interpolation than to make a
whole new feature just so someone can sett a value==null.  I'm not
looking for a silver bullet to rule them all.

I believe this is one of the things gradle got right: A strong project
structure and a clear default lifecycle where it's easy to modify
behaviour. By making plugins effectively closed for extension I think
we are too rigid. While forking a plugin certainly has gotten easier,
it's not really what we want either.

Kristian