On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr> wrote:
>> There is nothing stoping you from releasing 3.3.0 on Java 6 now, and 3.4.0
>> on Java 7 in a few weeks.
> what I don't like with this plan is that it is exactly what happened with
> 3.1.1 then 3.2.1: we never did any bugfix for 3.1.1, 3.1.1 was a dead branch
> for start. 3.2.2 bugfixes could/should have been backported to 3.1.1, but who
> will ever do that? (not me...)

That is the normal state in open source software. Not many people will
volunteer to backport bugfixes to older release lines. It's a matter
of putting your limited resources where it does most good, and also
where your itch is. Usually this means working on HEAD.

> I agree that the lack of schedule can be a problem if we decide to make the
> release this week-end: but if we take one week to integrate Java 7
> improvements (ie mostly syntax for better maintainability and a few new APIs)
> and take one week after that to test the result, IMHO we get a better plan: a
> new Maven version, with features and the assurance we'll do bugfix releases on
> it (the fact that it has upgraded Java requirement is just a fact on release
> notes)

I'm not concerned that switching to Java 7 will introduce any new bugs
in core, at least not until we start using new Java 7 features.

What we should do is think about what is best for our users. Let's
look at the pros and cons of the two alternatives:

1. Switch to Java 7 for Maven 3.3.0

Bad: Users that are restricted to Java 6 for some reason will not be
able to benefit from the bug fixes and new features in 3.3.0
Good: One less release to make

2. Switch to Java 7 for Maven 3.4.0

Bad: One more release to make
Good: Users that are restricted to Java 6 for some reason will benefit
from the bug fixes and new features in 3.3.0, even though they might
not get any more bugfixes on that release line, because work focus
move to 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT as soon as 3.3.0 has been released

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 7 mars 2015 12:04:15 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
>> Hi Kristian,
>>
>> Please note that I am not opposed to using Java 7 in the core. What I am
>> objecting to is the planning, or rather the lack of it.
>>
>> We currently have core ready to be released on Java 6. Then just before it
>> is about to be released someone says, hey  lets switch Java version as
>> well. IMO that is something you should plan for before work is even started
>> on the next release.
>>
>> Then there is the agreement we made regarding Java versions and their EOL.
>>
>> Switching to Java 7 before the release will mean that a fewer number of
>> users will be able to reap the benefits of the bugfixes and features in
>> Maven 3.3.0.
>>
>> There is nothing stoping you from releasing 3.3.0 on Java 6 now, and 3.4.0
>> on Java 7 in a few weeks.
>>
>> Weighing in all of this I don't see any reason to change the Java version
>> for 3.3.0.
>> Den 6 mar 2015 13:54 skrev "Kristian Rosenvold" <
>>
>> kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>:
>> > I already have the full jdk7 port in a branch in github, so that
>> > assumption
>> > does not hold :)
>> >
>> > Kristian

Dennis Lundberg