I'm just reading http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/238 and I encourage everyone else
to as well. Mark talked about this at EclipseCon and I'm not sure what this
buys you. I can see the goals in the JEP but it isn't really clear about the
problem this JEP is trying to solve. I will pop on the mailing list and see if
I can get an answer. But immediately I see complexity added because the
compiler, archiving mechanisms and signing mechanism all need to be altered.
Maybe it is a benefit, I'm not really sure yet but at first blush I can't see
it myself.

On Mar 20, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org> wrote:

> I agree on the "feels wrong".
>
> I don't think it will become that much heavier, assuming most of the time you
> don't need multi-version classes in an archive. Now you know for sure that a
> number of classes won't be used, but in general you always get overhead from
> classes in jars which aren't used. Every time I use maven-shade-plugin +
> minimizeJar=true the results are impressive.
> I'm more worried about the complexity and combination with what we gain with
> it.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>

> Op Thu, 19 Mar 2015 23:43:12 +0100 schreef Gary Gregory
> <garydgreg...@gmail.com>:
>
>> The level of granularity feels wrong.
>>
>> This sounds like it would make jar "heavier", potentially a lot heavier.
>> Another angle would be to manage versions 1-1 with jars, one jar for java
>> 7, one for java 8, and so on. With >1 version in one jar, I am FORCED to
>> download versions of class files I'll never use. That seems like a bad idea
>> baked in.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we've been asked to give our opinion on the JEP 238: Multi-Version JAR
>>> Files
>>>
>>> Here's a quote from Rory O'Donnels e-mail:
>>> ---
>>> It's goal is to extend the JAR file format to allow multiple, JDK
>>> release-specific versions of class
>>> files to coexist in a single file. An additional goal is to backport the
>>> run-time changes to
>>> JDK 8u60, thereby enabling JDK 8 to consume multi-version JARs. For a
>>> detailed discussion,
>>> please see the corresponding thread on the core-libs-dev mailing list. [1]
>>>
>>> Please keep in mind that a JEP in the Candidate state is merely an idea
>>> worthy of consideration
>>> by JDK Release Projects and related efforts; there is no commitment that
>>> it will be delivered in
>>> any particular release.
>>>
>>> Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome on the corelibs-dev
>>> mailing list. (If you
>>> haven’t already subscribed to that list then please do so first,
>>> otherwise your message will be
>>> discarded as spam.)
>>>
>>> [0] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/238
>>> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2015-
>>> February/031461.html
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> IIUC the original request was to have different version of the same class
>>> within the same artifact. On the mailinglist I noticed a more interesting
>>> idea: you need a mechanism to map Classes, Methods or Fields from one
>>> version to the other.
>>>
>>> From a Maven perspective I don't see that much issues with the original
>>> idea. You should already be able to do it right now with a lot of
>>> execution-blocks.
> [...]

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no
respect.

-- Edward Gibbon