Also have a look at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/MultiVersionJar-8u60-9-design.md
it looks more complete and has some additional usecases

Robert

Op Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:24:08 +0100 schreef Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>:

I'm just reading http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/238 and I encourage everyone else to as well. Mark talked about this at EclipseCon and I'm not sure what this buys you. I can see the goals in the JEP but it isn't really clear about the problem this JEP is trying to solve. I will pop on the mailing list and see if I can get an answer. But immediately I see complexity added because the compiler, archiving mechanisms and signing mechanism all need to be altered. Maybe it is a benefit, I'm not really sure yet but at first blush I can't see it myself.