In short/middle term the lack of IDE integration isn't a real problem for
now.
Like Brian said, they know that users won't use such feature before several
years.
The runtime part providing the compatibility for the JRE should be
backported to Java 8 but only Java 9 JDK will provide required tools to
create such jars.
The goal to involve build tools ASAP is to validate the technical
feasibility to integrate such new feature before J9 is out (and not to wait
for its delivery to do it - and complain when it will be too late)

What we need to do here is to imagine how it will be in 2/3? years when
we'll start to have developers using a JDK9 who'll want to provide
librairies compatible (and optimized) for previous JREs.

For me (in my dreams) it should clearly be in only one module and thus
probably with additional sources directories. The compiler plugin should
hide (in one or several steps) the compilation of sources and the jar
packaging should discover if it has to create a mvjar or not