What the external name is can be whatever people feel is most suitable.

We should jump into IRC, as I think that will be faster, to figure out how it
should be used.

I’m a vehement -1 to changing the artifactIds or structure without a plan. We
have to change the groupId because we cannot deploy into Eclipse’s namespace
but for anyone using this code just leave it how it is while making
improvements. Consider it just moving the body of code from Eclipse because
that’s all it is right now. If we’re going to make changes to the API in a new
package space then just delegate to the Aether code, like we are doing in the
core right now and maybe even working from the core if possible. Shore up and
fix the usage in the core, we have artifact related code all over the place
doing duplicate things that we should consolidate too. Swizzling the Aether
code around and changing it all is not going to help anything at all. Fixing
bugs, great. Making additions that leave the library compatible yet improve it,
great. If it works in the core and works in the plugins it will work for
everyone else.

The library as it stands functions and people are using it. We have something
in Maven core that uses it and it’s pretty terrible but it’s a great place to
start trying to flesh out something new because the ITs will catch most things.
There is also the questions of what kind of testing harness we need because
everyone is sort of looking at how these changes affect the outcome but I think
tools that perform deltas on the dirty tree and final list with their scope
transformations should be considered before starting to fiddle with any
existing Aether code.

For now leave the Aether code in as close a state that from which it arrived
here from Eclipse. No one has touched this stuff for years, I can’t see how
anyone would think changing it all is a good idea because it’s not. At any
rate, a discussion is in order before any change to it’s structure it made.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl