you are completely missing my point: simply put, when doing such risky change
(that require Review Then Commit), *please do it on a branch*, not on master
(that you'll later revert to postpone to a future Maven version: tracking
changes on master is a big giant mess lately, with updates and reverts in
every place!)

and on "As far as I understand it we want the plugins and core
 extensions to use the same classpath when executed and when build"
You know what? We want also that libraries classpath are consistent when built
and when used as dependencies: nothing specific to plugins and core extensions.
Everything is built some time then used.
If there are some unexpected discrepencies, we have an issue.

And updating plugins for Maven own builds to work now won't help Maven users
to update their builds
Notice I use the word "update", not "fix": I don't care if you think that the
required update is a positive fix because everything was buggy for 10 years and
you're the guy who is saving us from the bugs we lived with: for normal users,
it worked and you're once again  breaking Maven

Regards,

Hervé