On 21 February 2017 at 09:35, Tibor Digana <tibordig...@apache.org> wrote:

> Stephen, so you avoided the duplicates.
> I have questions.
>
> Is it really necessary to keep duplicates of system properties in
> *List<String>** args*?
> Is it necessary to pass ordered duplicates to CLI Manager and to rely on
> CLI Manager to take care of removing duplicates?
> *CommandLine config = cliManager.parse( args.toArray( new
> String[args.size()] ) );*
> It looks like distributed functionality over two classes.
> Is it better to find the previous system property and replace it in the way
> as I did in Surefire?

Well it is long established behaviour in maven that the last defined
property value for a key wins. If we had the same behaviour for all the CLI
options then we would have a simpler behaviour entirely, because we could
just append the CLI args onto the end of the list. I could have
investigated making that fix, but it seemed wiser to go for the pragmatic
option of handling the merge in a package local class (and we needed a
custom class to access the protected constructor, etc)

Changing integration tests in Surefire to make surefire build on Maven due
to changes in Maven is something that you should only do if you understand
why. Otherwise you run the risk of introducing regressions.