This investigation and resolution of this mystery has been quite
informative. I suspect there are general principles and lessons here
about separating infrastructure for different projects that extend
well beyond Maven itself and probably beyond Jenkins. Containers might
play a role.

Perhaps someone would be interested in more formally publishing a full
writeup somewhere? Or perhaps delivering a lightning talk on this at
ApacheCon? This feels quite valuable for general DevOps.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 3:12 PM Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org> wrote:

> Here's a very short summary and conclusion about what happened the last
> period.
>
> Half July some integration tests of Maven started to fail, but not always
> (it good happen that a certain JDK would succeed again with the next run).
> At that time we only noticed:
> - it failed only on the Linux nodes of Jenkins.
> - the failing tests were using MAVEN_OPTS
>
> It took quite a while, but in the end Hervé discovered the root cause:
> - On some nodes there was an unexpected ${user.home}/.m2/.mavenrc file
> that set the value of MAVEN_OPTS
>
> INFRA discovered that it was the incubator-shardingsphere that created
> this file when building there project.
>
> We've provided a PR for this project together with an explanation. This PR
> has been accepted and INFRA has removed the .mavenrc files.
>
> Over the past weeks a lot of changes has been done to the code for
> investigation.
> All changes that were done to change the behavior related to environments
> variables and mavenrc file should and will be reverted.
> Mavens master branch was stable, so to ensure the right things are still
> tested the need to be restored (some of them did indeed test the
> MAVEN_OPTS explicitly as issued in its JIRA).
> In general we don't change ITs, we only extend then and provide a range to
> control for which Maven versions the test is valid.
>
> Details and discussions can be found on the slack channel.
>
> thanks,
> Robert

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org