Von: Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org>
Gesendet: Samstag, August 3, 2019 9:12 PM
An: Maven Developers List
Betreff: [SUMMARY] 3 ITs permanently fail on Linux / Maven Core

Here's a very short summary and conclusion about what happened the last
period.

Half July some integration tests of Maven started to fail, but not always
(it good happen that a certain JDK would succeed again with the next run).
At that time we only noticed:
- it failed only on the Linux nodes of Jenkins.
- the failing tests were using MAVEN_OPTS

It took quite a while, but in the end Hervé discovered the root cause:
- On some nodes there was an unexpected ${user.home}/.m2/.mavenrc file
that set the value of MAVEN_OPTS

INFRA discovered that it was the incubator-shardingsphere that created
this file when building there project.

We've provided a PR for this project together with an explanation. This PR
has been accepted and INFRA has removed the .mavenrc files.

Over the past weeks a lot of changes has been done to the code for
investigation.
All changes that were done to change the behavior related to environments
variables and mavenrc file should and will be reverted.
Mavens master branch was stable, so to ensure the right things are still
tested the need to be restored (some of them did indeed test the
MAVEN_OPTS explicitly as issued in its JIRA).
In general we don't change ITs, we only extend then and provide a range to
control for which Maven versions the test is valid.

Details and discussions can be found on the slack channel.

thanks,
Robert