Hi,
In my humble opinion it is not the best way to implement own api when
similar api is already ready and maintained.

There is another project used for metrics: micrometer, as we can see it is
a quite popular 2.3K stars, 500 forks  on github
https://github.com/micrometer-metrics/micrometer

Please consider similar situation with logging api used in maven, we have
different logging in plexus component, maven plugin api, maven core, ...
and now slf4j is try to replace old

  Why it is so important to you to be independent in this case?

--
Sławomir Jaranowski