the current 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT works like 0.5.6 as donated: I confess I did not
test, I just did not change anything using the general approach "people were
happy before, just continue step by step improvements" :)

reading the mvnw script (*nix), compiling+running the .java is executed only if
neither wget nor curl are available on your machine

reading the mvnw.cmd, it seems .java is not supported

looking at Git history confirms:
https://github.com/apache/maven-wrapper/commit/570bc50afe07bff696a097cd7746d01b00e70337

Don't hesitate to create a Jira issue and corresponding fix to add .java
support for Windows: future 3.1.0 will have one more fix over previous 0.5.6

Regards,

Hervé