Hi,

To summarize the discussion we have many votes to go this way.

My proposition is as first step remove windows nodes from jenkins builds, I
see many fals positive fails on such node ...

Next step can be stop building PR by jenkins - it is only triggered  for
dependabot and for branch from repo - not triggered for build PR for forked
repo.

sob., 2 lip 2022 o 21:42 Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> napisał(a):

> Howdy,
>
> I'd like to spin a discussion about the ASF Maven Jenkins instance.
>
> As you know, ASF Infra operates one separate instance of Jenkins only for
> Maven related projects. Still, aside this being a chore for INFRA, it does
> have quite some shortcomings:
> - lack of all needed OS-es (has linux and windows nodes only)
> - regular (lately more often) issues with windows nodea (like post build
> workspace cleanup and others). But really, like 1 out of 3 fails due to
> some windows node issue.
> In short, it does not give us needed coverage, plus regularly generates
> false negatives (red X) for PRs and master builds.
>
> OTOH, GH Actions proved very usable, quick, has macOS and in general fast.
> Still, GH Actions cannot deploy snapshots to repository.a.o, nor is
> something we'd want (see last npmjs token leakage).
>
> Currently we have this "duality" of CI, and almost always one has to check
> why a job failed, and MANY times it fails due Jenkins non-build related
> issues (usually on Windows nodes).
>
> Hence, I'd propose something along those lines:
> - "scale down" Jenkins, keep linux nodes only, and make it "deploy" only
> (preferably of master branch commits only)
> - hence Jenkins would "loose" CI title, it would be just "deployer" to
> repository.a.o
> - use GH Actions for running tests on PRs and master branches and rely on
> its results on GH UI
>
> This would give us (and ASF INFRA) benefit of:
> - the maintained instance becomes way simpler, linux only (ASF INFRA)
> - PR and master CI results come in way faster
> - no more (well, GH Actions has outages as well, but less) false negatives
>
> WDYT?

Sławomir Jaranowski