Hi,

On 19.07.22 18:48, Tamás Cservenák wrote:
@Anders I'd stop using the "run on for what you build for" aspect. We will
have to split it IMHO. It caused a lot of luggage for us in the past (we
still release Java 7 plugins in 2022).

Instead, I think we need to simplify toolchains for users, and make it
clear for them that for their benefit (but also ours), they should use the
latest LTS whatever they target for. Running the latest LTS has way too
many benefits for us as for users (faster, less resource, better errors
[reported to us] and so on). Workstations are usually fully up to date
(latest OS, latest Java, latest Maven), so we will somehow have to "trick"
(persuade) users to stop what they did before (if they targeted some legacy
system running on Java7): they installed Java7 and run Maven using it, and
do it differently. Just like IDEs, they clearly separate "runtime" Java
(they usually "bring their own") and "target" Java, and the two are two
completely separate things.

Now, all this above is "just me" (my personal opinion). After all, we may
consider making toolchains "less pain" (as you say "it adds complexity"),
so maybe some integration with macOS libexec/java_home, sdkman, jenv,
etc... (unsure what or how yet, am just throwing out ideas).

I'm on MacOS ... no it simply works using --release...

Much easier than toolchains.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise