On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 10:15 AM Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 19.07.22 19:10, Tamás Cservenák wrote:
> > Actually, yes, I keep forgetting about release flag: so, if running on
> > LTS, user can do:
> > - use compiler "release" flag to target any Java from 8 to 17 (up to
> > current LTS it runs on)
>
> You can build for target JDK 7 with JDK17 via --release ...
> and also not ONLY on LTS release of JDK you can use also non LTS
> versions for that...

This only affects the generated bytecode, though? If you use anything
only available in a later JDK then your app/library will fail at
runtime, i.e. once it hits something that is actually _running_ the
older JDK.

Perhaps things have improved in this area but when we tried this
(years ago), it was a pain.