> On one hand, we all agree that .gitignore and .gitattributes (and so
> on) are useful when building a project (prior to the final packaging).

The primary purpose of those files are git commands.
Having them evaluated by other tools is kind of unexpected (at least for me)...

We already strip some other metadata which may potentially be evaluated during
build as well
(https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-utils/blob/7f5114af7d0c4d19838a9e0082758ec0f5e0269e/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/util/AbstractScanner.java#L55).
What about ".cvsignore"? That may be evaluated during build time as well.

I agree that given the circumstances we should not try to strip too many things
from either .jar, .source.jar or source.zip. Not sure if we need to actually
reduce the default excludes from
https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-utils/blob/7f5114af7d0c4d19838a9e0082758ec0f5e0269e/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/util/AbstractScanner.java#L55
 even further...

Konrad