Hi all,

TL;DR: +1 for releasing an "4.0.0-alpha-1".

I think that an "alpha-1" could also be of value for end users. They might want to experiment with new features, see if they work on their project.

Nowadays, I mostly hear people being reluctant to download a SNAPSHOT from a Jenkins machine. Offering an "alpha-1" - of course, with all the smallprint saying it may ruin your coffee and what not - will give them something to test. And if they test, they can report bugs, so we can stabilise Maven further.

We know, they know, it's not stable, things may break - but it's better than postponing Maven 4 and only saying "we will release it when it's ready". Because if nobody tests it in the wild, how do we know it's ready?

Cheers,

Maarten