On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 8:24 AM Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le sam. 15 oct. 2022 à 14:20, Slawomir Jaranowski <s.jaranow...@gmail.com>
> a écrit :
>
> > For failed release I would prefer
> > - revert commits if needed - we will have history
> > - remove tag
> > try again :-)
> >
> > If we bump versions only caused by technical problems during release we
> > need to change / create labels in jira, move labeled issues and so on
> > And we can have questions why some versions are missing.
> >

> Fully agreed, that's what I initially tried to do.  But the repository does
> not allow removing a tag.  So this would have to be changed.

It does not if your release candidate tag says it's an RC, over at
Apache Commons we use, for example, RC tags like
"commons-text-1.10.0-RC1", which can be deleted if you want to redo
RC1 before you send out the vote. When the vote passes, a new tag on
the _same_ commit as the RC commit called "rel/commons-text-1.10.0" is
pushed and tags under "rel/" _cannot_ be deleted.

Gary