Am 2022-10-30 um 20:32 schrieb Elliotte Rusty Harold:
On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 6:53 PM Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:

Am 2022-10-30 um 19:39 schrieb Elliotte Rusty Harold:
IMO A failed release should not burn an external facing version
number. If it does, then the release process is flawed and needs to be
fixed.

Why? This I don't understand. From ASF PoV only the source release ZIP
file is relevant. Everything else isn't public. The Git tag does not
matter actually.

If it's not an externally facing version number as used in the pom.xml
dependency/version element, then it doesn't really matter. I thought
we were talking about restarting a release requiring a new version
number because the git tag is tied to the version number and the git
tag can't be deleted or repointed. However if that's not the case,
then I agree it doesn't really matter.

While I have never actively deleted tags, I consider this as rewriting history what two different source trees appear under the same tag. This does not sound write. We don't rewrite history and maintain a linear branch strategy whatever is released from master.