On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 3:07 PM Romain Manni-Bucau
<rmannibu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In terms of default I think default should match the most common case and
> downloads is not a common case for maven but a very troublesome one when it
> fails or hangs and not logging anything means maven hangs for end user
> without idea why until you kill -3 it which is often hard on CI so think
> "downloading" info is key there, similarly "downloaded" enables to know an
> artifact and from where is used in classpath(s) which is key for the same
> reason.

Logging is **not** a solution for this problem. It is a band-aid, and
a poor one. Maven itself should not hang. Instead Maven should
explicitly fail and log a detailed error message when a download
fails. That is, it should report the actual problem. It should not
report 999 things that happened before the problem and expect the user
infer what the problem is, like trying to get someone to imagine an
ele[hant in a room by describing everything in the room that is not an
elephant and asking them to notice the elephant shaped hole in the
description.

If Maven indeed fails to recognize and report a failed or hung
download, please file a bug in Jira.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org