Based on my experience, I think we (FOSS developers) can create our own
momentum by "simply" creating an EOL schedule. I have seen this EOL aspect
motivate the move away from Jetty 9 for example. Since Maven 4 is not out,
there is nothing to EOL in Maven 3 land unless you want to say that only
3.9.x is maintained and old versions are on an EOL schedule of x.

Gary