You didn't get my point.

My point was that it is irrelevant if POMs in the repository are minimal or
not.
But it is extremely important that information which is the main maven
repository is _not changing_!!!

Otherwise:

a) build won't be reproductable
b) the scenario which you are proposing - everybody maintaining its own
maven repository with competing metadata even for open source projects
will become the reality. And this is something which in my opinion won't be
any good for maven nor for improving the quality of the maven central
repository. I already know some people which are creating their own m2
repositories and the work which there are doing is not at all serving maven
community. I am all for centralising that effort.

Note then when I am saying that no POMs should not be changed - this means
that no dependency should be added, removed or moved to different position
witin the pom. The algorithm which resolves transitive dependencies is very
fragile: it is even (accordingly to my knowledge) sensitive to the position
of the dependency in the pom.

I also have no better alternative to what's happening now with m2
repository. But I share Vincent's opinion:
"There needs to be a big effort to clean the m2 repo of bad POMs" and I am
just adding that this in my opinion should happen and ___finish_
before maven 2.0 will be proclaimed as "final" or even "beta". Otherwise the
situation which happen with m1: some people tried unstable beta versions and
never come back to maven will be repeated one more time. But this time it
won't happen due to the code quality (which is really excellent in case of
m2) but due to the repository related problems.

Michal